The Malouinière of Ville Bague
Most of these historic buildings were built between 1650 and 1730 within 12 km of St-Malo, by its shipbuilders who wanted to escape the congested city, while staying close enough to the centre (within two hours on horseback) to take care of their ships and their cargos.
They are located within "Clos Poulet," which refers to the Aleth region (near St-Malo), originally the name of a Gallo-Roman camp of the Saint-Servan citadel and the departure point for Cornouaille where tin was charged. Saint-Malo became prosperous in the 15th and 16th centuries, the era when the decline of Saint-Servain began.
Under the wars of the Sun King, Saint-Malo became a focal point of maritime activity. Pirates profited from the war; their takings were shared between the king, the shipbuilder and the crew.
At the same time, maritime commerce was developing: in addition to the traffic of the Compagnie des Indes, France began to trade with the Netherlands (Delft), Italy (marble), Chile and Peru (precious metals) and Spain (leather), not to mention the slave trade triangle created by Africa, the Caribbean and Europe.